25 Last Minute Valentine’s Day Ideas for Everyone
Holidays have the tendency to sneak up on us when we aren’t looking, Valentine’s Day being no exception. Although Valentine’s Day is a smaller holiday, it can still get forgotten in the hustle and bustle of daily life. Hence why I’ve come to save your butt with 25 last minute Valentine’s ideas (for everyone).
What do I mean by ‘for everyone’? What I mean is that it would be naive to assume everyone is in a relationship or has a partner! (And it would be silly to exclude anyone as a last-minute holiday prepare-er!) There are more than just people in a relationship planning to celebrate Valentine’s Day, and this list reflects that!
Below is a list of 25 last minute Valentine’s Day ideas that can be used for people who are single, in a relationship, celebrating with friends, celebrating with kids, or grieving a loss. This list can be used by anyone, for any schedule or budget. Let’s take a look below!
25 Last Minute Valentine’s Day Ideas…
If You’re Single
There is absolutely no shame in celebrating Valentine’s Day with yourself! I spent the last five years single and that didn’t stop me from treating myself on Valentine’s Day!
Self-love is so important (every day, but why not overload on V-Day!) and you should take this opportunity to fully love yourself! Don’t worry, I’ve come up with a few ideas on how to pamper yourself to oblivion:
1. Take this as an opportunity to have a self-care fest and go nuts. Take a look at this list of 50 free self-care ideas, many of which can easily be added onto any weekday, especially Valentine’s day!
2. Do something you genuinely enjoy doing: whether that’s cooking yourself a nice meal, going to the gym, watching a series on Netflix or calling up a friend. Do something for yourself that it wouldn’t matter either way whether it was Valentine’s Day or not.
3. If you have a pet, spend time with them! Love doesn’t have to be limited to humans only! Make a date with your pet and spend the night playing together. Perhaps a toy or a special treat may make the night more fun!
4. Do something special for yourself you may not always do. This could be something such as having a glass of wine, watching a movie you’ve been dying to see, sitting down and diving into a book, catching up on some online shopping and treating yourself!
5. Go all out (my personal recommendation) and have a full on pamper evening! Complete with bubble bath, candles, wine and obviously chocolate. Who better to date than date yourself? Call it cliche all you want but tell me how great you feel with your feet up in a steaming hot tub, a cold glass of Pinot Grigio and some sweet treats. I guarantee whether it’s cliche or not you’ll feel GREAT.
6. BOLD TIP: go on a last minute date. Connect with an old flame, hop on Tinder or finally decide to meet up with someone you’ve been flirting with. There’s no harm in putting yourself out there!
If You’re Grieving
Unfortunately, not all of us have the luxury of spending Valentine’s day with the ones we love. Perhaps certain circumstances, a death, or the end of a relationship have left us without plans (not by choice).
For those, my heart truly goes out to you. I want to give each of you a hug, and although my list may not offer complete solace, I hope it offers something:
1. Grieve however you see fit. Often times people get caught up in feeling they need to grieve a certain way, when in reality it looks very different for each of us. Take the time you need. Give your soul what it needs on this day (and every day).
2. Make plans with others. Spend time with other loved ones on this day, whether it’s just to meet up for coffee and catch up. Fill your day with something that sparks joy and leaves you feeling warm.
3. Take time for yourself and make sure your needs are met. This may simply look like engaging in activities of self-care and taking care of yourself. Do what you can to make sure you’re recharging and refreshing yourself, however that looks. Remember that you are loved and worthy of love.
If You Have Kids
As a child I absolutely loved Valentine’s day because my parents always made it into something special! There was always the excitement of coming home from school and then diving into even more festivities!
Although Valentine’s Day doesn’t need to be made into a huge deal, there are still some fun activities for kiddies that can make the day extra special. Here are some Valentine’s Day ideas for those with little ones:
1. Dress them up in something festive! Even if it’s something they already own in red and white, dressing up can get them into a festive mood! Throw on something they already own with hearts or get them a little something to enhance their outfit! (Especially if they’re still little and you can take advantage of choosing what they wear!).
2. Take time to tell them what this day is about, and what it means! Tell your kiddies that you love them and that this is a day of love, not just for people who are in a relationship! Explain that the love is meant to be shared and make sure they feel it!
3. Spend time making Valentine’s Day decorations/cards with them! Valentine’s crafts can be simple and easily created (a quick dive into Pinterest can spark ideas in anyone!). From paper ribbon chains to heart shaped cards, take the time and sprinkle a little love and glitter into those creations!
4. Make a special Valentine’s themed meal. Cut food into heart shaped pieces or change the colours to red, white and pink! Sprinkle heart shaped sprinkles onto everything! Make them feel special! It’s all about the little things and heart shaped pancakes go a long way.
5. OR make a sweet, Valentine’s themed treat! Chocolate covered strawberries, cupcakes or even heart-shaped cookies! Do something fun and sweet! It’s only one day out of the year!
6. Spend time doing a family activity! This could be a special game, having a family movie night, going out to do an activity, etc. Spend the day as a family and enjoy each others company! Bonus points if it’s Valentine’s themed!
If You’re Spending it With Friends
Also a favourite activity of mine! In addition to spending Valentine’s Day with myself, I used to religiously go out with my girlfriends! Valentine’s Day is about spending time with people you love, and I love my girls!
Galentine’s day is a personal fav of mine, so here’s a list of awesome date night ideas for you and your girls:
1. Go out for dinner. And get wine. Be so obsessed with yourselves that other couples can’t help but be jealous of you!
2. Plan the ultimate girls night! Check out my top list of tried and true, hands-down best girl night ideas!
3. Snuggle up on the couch and watch all the movies! Whether you’re into rom-coms or action movies, spend the night with a big bowl of popcorn, each other’s company and wine (it never hurts!)
4. Try a new activity! Maybe it’s a new class at the gym or a cooking class. Try something new that you may even potentially get a discount for because it’s for Valentine’s Day!
5. Make your Galentine a gift box! Show your appreciation for your BFF and make a themed box! You could go with relaxing (face-masks, candle, wine, bath bombs) or movie night (her fav movie, popcorn, candy) or simply fill it with all of her favourite things! Give your bestie a little TLC and surprise her with this awesome, heartfelt idea!
If You’re in a Relationship
Naturally I love Valentine’s Day because I have no particular reason not to, but I also want to highlight that Valentine’s Day shouldn’t be the only day couples do special things for each other! The Valentine’s Day love feeling can be spread throughout the entire year!
However, if you’re looking for something last minute to do and stuck for ideas, check out my list below:
1. Skip going out and make dinner together at home! If you’re looking for a more intimate setting, grab a few ingredients and spend the evening making something you both love to eat! Valentine’s Day is about spending quality time together!
2. If you’re dying to go out on a date, or looking to do something fun, check out my top 10 date ideas (bonus: they won’t break the bank).
3. Breakfast in bed! If you’re crunched for time or won’t be able to spend the evening together, breakfast in bed is a cute alternative! This sweet gesture can be completed in the nick of time and always pulls through! (Who doesn’t love breakfast in bed?)
4. Make them a DIY gift! You cannot go wrong with a little cheesy token of love to show your partner how much you love them! (Personally I will be making my boyfriend a jar full of restaurants to draw from so we don’t have to debate each time!) Here’s 15 super cute ideas you can use to make a hand-made, gift from the heart!
5. Do something just the two of you! Go for a long walk or drive, visit a museum, recreate your first date, go on a picnic etc. Take the time and spend quality time with each other. Have conversations, laugh, enjoy each other’s company! Realize that there are probably moments you don’t get to spend just the two of you and savour it.
Valentine’s Day is a day of love, and although a lot of people choose not to participate because of it’s commercialization, I still believe you can spend the day doing things you love doing with the people you love (and that’s what matters). Whether you’re single, grieving, or with someone special (partner, friends or children), you can find a little time in your day to spread the love, or simply find the time to love yourself.
You don’t need to shell out large amounts of money to show your loved ones how much you care! Each list offers simple ideas that spend little to no money. The focus is on spending time with each other, companionship and love. Use this little bit of time before Valentine’s Day to stir up some love!
Is there something special you do on Valentine’s day? What are your plans? Let me know in the comments below!