When we think about changing our lives, we often resort to thinking it takes major leaps and bounds. We feel pressured to over-perform and do something wildly extravagant, or feel as though we must do something grand. The reality is, while sometimes those big changes are what we need every once in a while, the magic relies in the small actions. The simple things we can do every day to enhance our lives. I’m here to scrap the notion that you need to pull a grand performance to change your life. Below, you can find the complete list of 50 simple things you can do to change your life.
Related Post: Your Best Year Yet: Making Yourself a Priority
50 Simple Things You Can Do To Change Your Life
When it comes to creating a true change, consistency is key! Try giving any one of these simple ideas that change your life a try for at least thirty days. Keep track of how you feel throughout those thirty days and decide if this is a change that has improved your life!
1. Drink enough water daily (recommendations are around 2.7L for females and 3.7L for males according to Mayo Clinic! Do what you can!)
2. Get outside every single day – whether it’s a walk, sitting out in the garden or participating in an outdoor activity.
3. Read 10 pages/for 20 minutes daily – achievable and think of how many books you’ll plow through!
4. Stretch every single day.
5. Journal for 10 minutes about your day.
6. Make a habit of donating to a charity you support or donating your time. Whether this is once a week, once a month, or whenever you can make it fit into your schedule.
7. Meditate for at least 5 minutes a day.
8. Find yourself a hobby & stick to it – find a place you can escape to doing something you enjoy.
9. Get off of your phone 30 minutes before bed.
10. Practice daily gratitude – each day, list 3 things you’re grateful for and why.
11. Get a good night’s sleep – aim to get 7 hours of sleep a night (or more/less depending on individual needs). For sleep tips, check out this.
12. Go through your house and throw out/donate everything you don’t need (refer to Marie Kondo if you get stuck!)
13. Clear out your social media – go through each platform and delete friends, unfollow accounts and unlike pages that don’t inspire you or make you feel good.
14. Start a budget – becoming financially responsible is no doubt the most life changing thing you can do.
15. Learn a new skill (ie. sewing, cooking, painting, etc.)
16. Create and lock down a morning & evening routine. Practice it daily.
17. Become more in-tune with nature – leave your window cracked open when it rains, walk through the grass with your bare feet, get outside and plant your garden etc.
18. Wake up at the same time every day – your body will get into a rhythm even on days you don’t work.
19. Find something you like doing to get your body moving – whether it’s joining a gym, hiking, going for walks, etc.
20. Start practicing a skincare regime and make it a routine. You can check out mine here.
21. Get a planner and make a habit of opening it daily.
22. Try something new once a week – whether it’s listening to a new song, trying a new food or attempting a new yoga pose.
23. Make paying down your debt a priority. You will be surprised at the weight you feel lifted off of your shoulders when you do.
24. Make a playlist for every mood you have – switch up your playlists based on how you’re feeling!
25. Give a gift to someone you know unexpectedly. Make this a habit and switch up the recipient (doesn’t need to be extravagant, can be a batch of muffins, a book you’re finished reading, an unexpected coffee etc.)
26. Make a habit of sitting down and eating with no distractions. Have dinner at the kitchen table. Have your family or friends do the same.
27. Go for a daily walk.
28. Turn off notifications on your phone while you’re working on something (whether it’s work or a hobby project). Pour your whole focus into the task at hand.
29. Intentionally make a habit of eating more fruits and vegetables. Try to incorporate them into every meal and snack.
30. Change the way you see yourself – make small steps towards appreciating all of your quirks, flaws and best attributes.
31. Watch more sunrises/sunsets. Alone or with company.
32. Pick one night a week to stay in and have a cozy night – soft PJs, your favourite show, some snacks or wine.
33. Continuously make goals – weekly, monthly, 3 month, 6 month, 9 month, and one year goals. Constantly ask yourself if what you’re doing is getting you closer to your goals.
34. Have an emergency fund. Continuously put small amounts of money into it off of each paycheque. Pretend it isn’t even there and enjoy your peace of mind.
35. Give up a bad habit you have – nail biting, smoking, eating takeout daily, putting yourself down as a joke – whatever it is, make a conscious effort to stop.
36. Have one day a week where you don’t spend any money.
37. Treat yourself spontaneously – get that delicious foamy latte, indulge in spending the afternoon reading a book, go for an extra long hike. Enjoy the occasional indulgence.
38. Do something that scares you almost once a day – slowly step out of your comfort zone.
39. Pay it forward – buy a coffee and put a bit of extra change down for the next person.
40. Make it a challenge to make one other person smile a day.
41. Try living in the moment more often (try grounding – 5 things you can see around you, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell, 1 thing you can taste).
42. Make a habit of regularly doing things for yourself – don’t wait until you’re feeling overwhelmed or burnt out.
43. Say your compliments out loud instead of holding back.
44. Adopt a pet from a shelter – give them a second chance.
45. Cut toxic people out of your life – the people you hang around heavily influence what you do and how you feel.
46. Choose experiences over things.
47. If you don’t like your job, slowly take the steps to search for another within your chosen career. Don’t like your career? It’s never too late to start over – you spend way too much of your life at work to not enjoy it at all.
48. Make a conscious effort to have more real life conversations. Stop and talk to your neighbour. Engage when someone at the grocery store tries to start a conversation. Chat with the clerk at the store. You never know what someone is going home to – try to be the reason someone doesn’t feel lonely.
49. Let the small things go – learn to stave frustration and annoyance. Take a deep breath, count to ten, and think before you react. Ask yourself if this will matter in 5 years.
50. Slow down – stop and smell the flowers, take your time getting places, linger in moments that feel amazing. We often rush through too many things. Learn to be present and savour the moment.
Have any simple things that changed your life? Did any of these speak to you? Let me know in the comments!